This article is reposted from https://www.mikeisthird.com/veni/
Veni Sancte Spiritus
We Baptize and begin our prayers in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In Confirmation, we talk about the gifts and fruits of the Holy Spirit. We celebrate the coming of the Holy Spirit fifty days after Easter with the feast of Pentecost.
But who is this third person of the Holy Trinity, and what difference does the Spirit make in the life of an average Christian?
This May 23-31st, join Catholic clergy & youth ministry veterans for an online retreat as we prepare for Pentecost. In response to Pope Leo XIII’s request in 1897 that we do so, we’ll also pray an online novena (nine days of prayer) to the Holy Spirit as “…a powerful plea for the light and strength and love so sorely needed by every Christian.”
So what is this going to look like?
Well, for a normal retreat, we’d go away to deserted place, to hear talks, to build community, and to spend time in silence face to face with God. During this time of social isolation, many of us already find ourselves in the desert. This online retreat, brought to you by the Vocations Office of the Archdiocese of Edmonton, will include a mixture of pre-recorded talks and daily livestreamed liturgies and activities. What you can look forward to is:
- An opening Mass (Vigil for the Ascension of Jesus) on Saturday, May 23 at 7pm, with Fr. Kris Schmidt presiding.
- A closing Mass (Pentecost) on Sunday, May 31st at 11am, with Fr. Paul Moret presiding.
- 9 talks recorded by youth ministry veterans who work in and around the Archdiocese of Edmonton including Santo Chines, Steven Defer, Sara Dmitri, Gillian Engstrom-Miller, Luke Gervais, Mike Landry, Jeannette Manser, Tina Schoenfelder, and Peter van Kampen
- 4 Holy Hours livestreamed from Fr. Marc Cramer’s Parish (St. Charles in Edmonton, AB)
- An E3 Evening (Encounter, Equip, Empower) hosted by FacetoFace Ministries via ZOOM on Monday, May 25th at 7pm.
- A special episode of “Left-Footers,” where Fr. Roger Niedzielski and Fr. Michael Bombak discuss who the Holy Spirit is… and what difference that makes to you on Wednesday, May 27th, at 7pm.
- A Vocations panel discussing the impact the Holy Spirit has had on finding God’s call to be a priest, member of a religious community, or married – and we anticipate an interactive component to this conversation – on Friday, May 29th, at 7pm.
Registering for the retreat (click the link below) will allow us to remind you as each event is going live and to keep in touch throughout the nine days. If you have any questions about the retreat, simply contact Mike for more info.
Who is this for? And how to I get involved?
Veni Sancte Spiritus is being put together for teenage youth & young adults who reside in the Archdiocese of Edmonton, but is open to anyone who would like to pray & learn with us.
Simply follow the following link to register, and you’ll get access to the talks (which will be posted following Mass on May 23rd) and invitations to the various livestreamed events throughout the nine days.